This blog has moved! Please visit the new Knot By Gran'ma website and follow my blog with Bloglovin or sign up for the newsletter.

Feb 3, 2012

How To Make Stitch Markers for Crochet Work

This tutorial does not use earring wires. I'm not a fan of them, as they flip off sometimes. This causes crying and lots of counting.



Materials:
Lobster Clasps - I know my clasps are huge, but I'm going blind some days, and this is what works for me for my dolls and hats. You can use smaller ones or even large lobster clasps. Do what makes you happy.
Small bead 6-8 mm
Large focal bead
Sewing needle
Crochet cotton (size 10)


Important note: Make sure your needle head is small enough to pass through your beads with a little room to spare.

Cut off a section of crochet cotton that's about 12 inches (30.5 cm) long. Tie a little knot at the bottom so your beads don't roll off and become lost forever. Thread your needle with your crochet cotton. This is (to me) the hardest part of the whole process. If you're having trouble, see if you can get away with a larger sewing needle.



String on your small bead


String on your large bead. Easy so far, no?




String your clasp through and then string it through 2 more times loosely.


Pull the loops on your clasp so that they hug the metal.



String the needle back through your large bead. Slide the bead up to the clasp. Make sure it's snug.



String the needle back through your small bead. Slide the bead up to the other bead... also snug. Can you see how incredibly complicated this entire process is?



Knot the bottom as close to the small bead as humanly possible. I like to do a double knot, because that's how I roll.


Clip the string at the desired length and get to crocheting! This is a close up of the 2nd stitch marker I made. I've had these awesome skull beads for over a year just waiting for me to come up with an awesome way to make stitch markers.

I was able to make 2 stitch markers on one 12 inch piece of string. You can make yours shorter or longer, depending on how many you want to make.





Subscribe to the Newsletter! 
(Newsletter includes news and promotions...) 

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Please share your thoughts with me. I love reading them!

AddThis