This blog has moved! Please visit the new Knot By Gran'ma website and follow my blog with Bloglovin or sign up for the newsletter.

Aug 30, 2011

Hurricane to Tropical Storm Irene and Us

So we got hit with this storm. The last hurricane I remember in NY was when I was 5 or 6... I think that one was Gloria. Luckily, the storm didn't do too much damage aside from power loss and minimal flooding.



Our amazingly kind neighbors, some extension cords and then a loaned gas generator saved our basement. We have water issues anyway. This storm dumped a butt load of water onto us, and actually the sump pump worked like a champ... until the power went out. There was an hour of frantic bailing of the sump pump and the dumb window wells before we were able to connect into our neighbor's generator for those. Then as luck would have it, my brother in law didn't lose power and loaned us his generator. Awesome.


The only real flooding came from a mystery hole in the concrete in the part of the basement that is not currently part of the water system we have in place. It's also on the boiler side of the basement... which we don't use. That can be cleaned up and fixed without too much worry. Lucky us. :)


We didn't really lose any trees either, but it looks like my favorite little birch tree is on a lean now. Sadly it may be the only tree casualty due to the over soaking of the ground. Maybe we can save it though. I'll have to think about a solution and see if Hubs can help.

Even though we still don't have power, we're very lucky to have had minimal damages and loss in this storm... and I've had the song, "Come On Eileen (sung Irene in my head)" stuck in my head for a week.


Subscribe to the Newsletter!
 
Follow Me on Pinterest

3 comments:

  1. I think your little tree will be all right! If it's wobbly, you can brace it. Maybe mulch around it?

    That was a heckuva storm, wasn't it? Hope it's another thirty years before another hurricane comes wondering up the coast!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Please share your thoughts with me. I love reading them!

AddThis